Semi O/T: Got a pickup with 2.0 16V, do I need Motronic?

> > I forgot to mention, I will also have Evans coolant,
> > which should help
> > things...
>
> Can't help ya there...   I think da original Cheapass Ron
> (TM) was going to run something like that - talk to him.

you know, i was doing some reading up on that evans coolant stuff:
http://www.evanscooling.com/html/tech1.htm#ptbl1

then i noticed the glaring issue (which i feared): its heat capacity sucks
ass. its like 0.7, which is less than 50/50 water/antifreeze mix (0.8).
heck, i end up keeping the rieger running on like 20/80 mix (0.9) just to
keep temps reasonable. from my own observations/tests the rieger oil temp
runs at 120c constant with a 50/50 mix (compare with 95c constant pure
water). i couldnt imagine running it with this evans stuff. there may not be
any local boiling in the head, but the overall engine temp would be so high
that it would be knocking all over the place.

it may be nice that this stuff basically wont boil in an engine, but i
believe that is outweighed by the high heat output of the vw 16v engine, and
cant simply be 'dropped in' without some major mods.

if you look here:
http://www.evanscooling.com/html/tech1.htm#outline2

you will see that evans sells special coolant pumps and radiators to use on
modern cars. this is obviously to overcome the low heat capacity of their
coolant. then there is this line at the bottom of that section:
"Due to the typical low compression ratios and horsepower of vintage,
antique, and collector cars, NPG can be used in most cases without any
modifications to existing cooling system components."
think back to those cars with tiny engines and huge-ass radiators (not our
case). those are the cars that you can simply drop this evans stuff into.

...so ron, was this the stuff you were gonna use?
Al