Unwanted messages?

There are issues with MLS - like primarily that surface prep is a bit
pickier than with the fibre gaskets.  I have known others to use the 1.9
on the 1.6 hydro (actually, one fellow used it successfully on a 1.6 solid
lifter head by using an alumnium spacer to block the oil drain hole.) with
success.  The increase in bore from the 1.6 to the 1.9 is only 3mm (76,5
to 79,5) and doesn't seem to cause that many issues.  I would not consider
having a copper gasket manufactured - I'd swap in a 1.9 instead... :)

The engine has been in the car since spring of 2000 (actually, I finished
the swap the week before Cincy.)  Since then I've been through a few head
gaskets... :)  The bottom end is tired now and wants an overbore - it had
450,000 km on it when I got it, much of the latter part of that abuse as
the previous owner was a regular ether user (I guess he thought it was
cheaper than new glowplugs.)  Since then I've put about 80,000km on a
re-ring, which is about 5,000km more than I expected to get.  I need to
get another 10,000 or so km then it can have a rest.

The wastegate itself does not need redesigning - the downpipe needs to be
modified.  Currently the wastegate poppet is covered by the downpipe
flange, which forces exhaust gas from the wastegate through a small space
in the housing to the downpipe inlet.  At max rpm and boost there is not
sufficient gas flow in this area and the boost continues to build.  The
solution is to cut a hole in the flange for the wastegate exhaust flow and
weld a small piece of mandrel tubing in that merges with the downpipe.
Not a major undertaking in itself, but not smething I'm going to bother
with right now.

Drew

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, David Utley wrote:

> Yeah, the 1.9 gasket in there seems to be a better solution to the fibrous
> one...  Perhaps if you had the money/inclination, you could buy a 1.6 gasket,
> and send it to one of those companies that fabs a copper one from your
> original?  That might be the best solution, as the 1.9 gasket would have a gap
> around the perimeter of each piston...  The smaller that gap, the better,
> methinks...
>
> BTW, how long have you had that motor in there?  How many miles?  Can you
> change to a better wastegate design than original without changing the
> downpipe?
>
> David Utley
>
> Quoting Drew MacPherson <drew@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca>:

84 Wolfsburg Edition TurboDiesel Scirocco
	http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd
89 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant
99 A3 Jetta TDI