From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Dan Smith
Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2004 12:02 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Way OT: More TV

Larry's question about Hot Rod TV reminded me, has anyone been watching
American Hot Rod? They're currently building an entire hot rod out of
aluminum, by hand. The frame weighed 80lbs. The body is made out of hand
bent aluminum sheet butt-welded together. Imagining the cost of having
someone hand-build you an aluminum skin in a very short time period (all
other projects set aside) and having it butt-welded instead of overlapped
boggles the mind. The reason for the specific welds is that the body isn't
going to be painted. Like every other piece of the car (except for the
custom billet aluminum rims, which are attached to spindles), it is being
polished then brushed and left naked. Flames will be acid etched into it.
While American Choppers turns out some pretty unique bikes with brilliant
vision, this Alumatub as it's called is a true work of art.

Dan