Friday - what's the fastest you've ever taken your Scirocco?

ian@bluemoon.hplx.net wrote:

> This is sort-of a cross post; I saw this on the Vanagon mailing list and
> thought it would be amusing to compare.  (Vanagons have a ridiculously
> high Cd and not a whole lot of go -- top speed is around 90, and would be
> rev-limited to 95 or so anyway.)
>
> Fastest I've taken my 'roc (88 16v) was 120mph indicated (with a new
> speedometer, for what that's worth).  M-14 here in Michigan sure is a fun
> road... :)
>
> ian Butler / ian@bluemoon.hplx.net

I got up to 120 mph, downhill and wind aided in my Mk1 Roc, FN trans w/
it's tall 5th and a later 1.8l GTI motor. Had to strain 4th and the
motor on the backside of the hill just to carry enough momentum over the
top to be able reach that as it was.

I used my buddy next to me to know how fast I was going, he has (had) a
later model car.

This same Roc did 90 mph through 100F degree desert on my ill fated trip
to Cincy one year. (either or both of less lead foot and more radar
warning would have helped.) I thought at the time it had burped a bit of
oil past the head gasket but it turned out to have just been purging
nooks and crannies from inside the block. Thoughts of the VW Inline Four
motor being derived from a Tractor Motor are plausible to say the least.

On another note I ran a bone stock A2 Jetta from SF to LA @ 95 mph
_AVERAGED_ time down Interstate 5, those who went to VW's FanFest or
what ever the hell it was called in Anaheim will remember Mark H., my
girl Helena and I trooped down- proving that people from the northern
half of the state DO travel south of SLO. <j/k> This Jetta was matted
most of the way, I couldn't average more than 100 mph because I had to
make pit stops along the way. :])

I hope to improve the slipperiness of my Mk1 with under body
improvments;  airdam to control arms & axle beam to rear valence need
flat horizontal surfaces to 'smood' things out down there.

To get the somewhat brick shaped Roc up past 120 mph sustainable would
need some help from forced induction and/or prostectic additions fore
and aft of the grill & rear hatch to make the air flow split and rejoin
in a less than turbulant manner.

TBerk