Fast idle cold and faster when hot ! RE: Idle Controll valve

Quoting Patrick Bureau <ats@longcoeur.com>:

> 86 8v Scirocco, for some reason previous owner has changed the FI assembly
> for one without a Lambda/Dwell setup, which we replaced. Now the car used to
> idle just fine, but ran rich very rich all the time.  Now that we changed it
> to a normal unit for an 8v (with the dwell connection) so the FI valve
> starts buzzing along... Now the car runs fin, I adjusted the advance and
> dwell, except the idle runs fast, and when it warm up it gets faster (i.e.
> starts at 1200 runs up 1500-1900 rpm after a drive).

Some sort of vacuum leak?  Get a butane torch, and a long clear plastic hose.
With the torch barely open, go around with the tip of the hose until you find
the cause of the leak (a trick that I learned from a CARB inspector when I
lived in California)...

HTH..