CV Joints / Cap / Rotor

>I posted a question about 2 weeks ago about replacing CV Joints, and I dont
>think we ever agreed on a response.  On the 16v models, is it possible to
>remove and replace the CV Joint wihtout having to take off the drive axle?
>My left CV Joint is gone and needs desperate replacement, and as I was
>replacing my rotors and pads this weekend it definetley looked as if this
>was possible, but I didn't have the time to experiment. Also, is replacing
>the CV joint a farily easy job, or is it one best left to professionals?

I am in the middle of this very process. I went with a whole axle assembly
since the cost difference between reman axles and NEW cv's just was not that
big. I had the thing apart in about 30 minutes which would have been quicker
had I not needed to go hunt down an 8mm 12 point. YOU MUST HAVE THIS TOOL!!!
KD tools part number 2304, go buy two of them in case you lose one cuz
they're a bitch to find. Another point of noting, I did have to disconnect
the stabilizer to get the control arm to swing down enough for the ball
joint to release. Also, when you take out the 6 bolts at the inner cv it
help if you have a buddy to pop the tranny in and out of gear so you can
rotate the axle around and keep the work at the bottom. In gear is the only
way to pop them loose.

WARNING..if you go this route, be careful handling the replacement axle
unit. The one I got must have been bumped around a bit in shipping because
the cv had come apart and I spent my last hour of daylight last night
popping the bearings back in...very fun.

The tech at dot org on cv repair is very helpful.

Jon