Answer to the mysterious vacuum valve

I noticed a couple of people have asked questions regarding the
mysterious "vacuum operated air flap" on the side of the intake, and no
one knows what it is. This applied to me because I recently lost the
switch and my 16v would not idle worth a dime when cold. I found out
where it is in the Bentley manual, it is in the Fuel system - Gasoline
section, 5-55. Below a certain degree, the vacuum control valve opens
and blocks the fresh air inlet and diverts air flow to the warm air
inlet which is heated up by exhaust heat. So if you remove the little
vacuum switch, when the car is cold it will cause a vacuum leak.
Anyways, just figured I would spread the knowleadge.

-Carlos