putting starter back on after tranny swap

I am basicly finished with my first tranny swap and I have a problem.
Upon turning the key the starter did not engage. In fact nothing
happened at all. Leaving the key at on I try and short the starter. The
starter starts spinning but it isn't making contact with the flywheel.
What went wrong? The new tranny is an FO instead of the FF that used to
be there.

-- Jacob Hawes
Cars:

	'78 lincoln mark V "QE2" nearly abandoned work in progress
	'80 scirocco mk1 the "floater"
	indiana red makes me think of an a&w root beer can
	'92 tempo "the ford" soon to be replaced by rocco as DD
Khukuri:
	18" Himalayan Imports Kobra "pillow knife"