Mk1 windshield rubber - trim absolutely necessary???

Mark, if mk1 sciroccos are anything like mk1 jettas than no, you shouldn't
need the trim.
I know Jay Brunberg is currently running a rubber windshield seal on his
mk1 jetta coupe which has the slot for the chrome strip, but he is not
running the strip.
Reason being is that the seal with the moulding strip slot is strill
available from the dealer from late mk1 cabby's.

Likewise aircooled beetles have no issues with pulling the aluminum window
trim...this is how some of the first "Cal-look" guys gave their bugs the
all black rubber look.

cheers
sandor