AC Question

Kent McLean wrote:

> T Berk wrote:
>
>> There is a great deal of difference between a shop vac and 'drawing
>> down a vacuum;, as the HVAC folks call it.
>

> The Mighty-Vac isn't a shop vac, at least one that can
> vacuum your floor.  The Mighty-Vac is used to bleed
> brake lines. It can draw a vacuum.
> <http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38053>

Oh, my mistake. (I have seen some brand name shop vac that looks like,
if is not exactly- Mighty-Vac.)

I'm not sure it wold evacuate the system enough. A true vacuum
(absolutely nothing in the A/C pipes) is hard to do without dedicated
equipment.
<http://www.bestechind.com/car_air_conditioning.htm>

> The vac you mention requires an air compressor, which
> I don't have.
> <http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3952>
>
> Kent

I understand now why it mentions 'no moving parts'. Thx.

I got to (re)poking around again because I have an A/C system sitting
in a car now that I haven't opened and I would like to reclaim what's
in it and reinstall it in another car.
I found this Usenet archive w/ A/C ;
<http://yarchive.net/ac/index.html>

Lets get back to the original problem:

> I got my ac running again after a relay and
 > fuse replacement, and replaced the r12 w/r134.
 > Now it blows cold at idle, but above 3k rpm
 > it blows warm.

Here is a 'How to Check A/C performance',
<http://yarchive.net/ac/performance_check.html>

And a 'why a good vacuum is important' link:
<http://yarchive.net/ac/pump_dry.html>

I'm still learning shadetree A/C so please bear w/ me as I camouflage
myself as an expert.

I don't know if we actually have any such experts on list. If so they
should jump in and save me.

TBerk