From: Mad Matt [mailto:mr_bubblehead74@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 5:09 PM
To: rob lahey; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Power Steering Rack Replacement

Make sure that the battery has been unhooked for at least an hour before
monkeying with anything airbag related.  The airbag is removable via allen-head
bolts on the back of the wheel.  The part to watch out for is the clock-spring
when removing the wheel from the shaft.  I can check with Mr. Bentley if you
need me to.  As for the rack itself...... major PITA.  You will be removing the
sway bar, downpipe, parts of the shift linkage (5spd), and the tie rods.  I did
this job on a Cabby while working at NGP.  Took me a good 6 hours, using a lift.

=====
Mad Matt
Annapolis, MD
'81 Scirocco (now with ABA-powered goodness)
'04 Toyota Tacoma (little red wagon for hauling Scirocco stuffs) gone but not
missed: '98 Jetta GLS (soul-less, boring commuter shitbox)