Welding Cast Iron - Manifolds

At 08:59 PM 06/11/2004 -0700, Larry Fry wrote:
>I cannot imagine silver soldering a cast iron manifold and would bet money
>it could not be done.

They refer to their product as "silver solder" (SSF-6 Silver Solder), but
it is used with the O/A torch so it is actually brazing not soldering.
Maybe they should rename it "SBF-6 Silver Braze".

>You CAN, however, use an oxy-cetylene torch and BRAZE
>the cracks satisfactorily (stop-drilling first is a good idea).
>Cast iron can be successfully arc welded using a nickel-based filler but it
>would take about 250 amps to do it, which would rule out any 120VAC home
>welder.

With their "72 Rod" they recommend that one "Use AC or DC with reverse
polarity. (70-110 amps for 1/8" rods, 95-140 amps for 5/32" rods)

>The easiest way is with metallic arc (aka "stick"), so with the right
>preparation, i.e. grinding out the crack for a full-penetration weld, it
>should be a fairly straight-forward task.
>   Larry
>sandiego16v

Will you be posting your mailing address so we can send our manifolds to
you so you put the product to the acid test?  :-)

Chris