'88 16v, damaged, for sale

Unfortunately, Rich is very familiar with the cracking cross-member
syndrome.
I don't think it's a Mk.2 thing...
The Scirocco(2) 16V has a larger intake hole in the radiator support and
that's where the usually crack.

Another reason for the 16V's cracking is that they came with 123hp and STOCK
mounts.

Then the stock mounts go bad, and are usually not replaced until the
downpipe breaks... Sometimes this is made worse by adding a urethane front
mount, and leaving the rest of the mounts alone. This causes even more
stress on the cross-member, and has given the front urethane mount a bad
name.

I believe it's this constant tugging at the chassis, that eventually finds
the weak spot in the front cross-member.

Here's my suggestion:

Buy my roller as a shell for $200, weld a plate over the air-intake hole on
the cross-member to make sure it stays crack-free, get the Salty Weasel
cross-member support, and use the stiffest mounts you can find.

Wasn't Rich's Scirocco originally red, Mars maybe...

Peter
http://thescirocco.com
Feel free to call me between 11AM and 11PM - 302.832.8989.