Crack in hard fuel line

On 6/9/04 8:02 PM, "Drew Teague" <roccnroll@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Just today my hard fuel line cracked just about midway between the fuel pump
> and the firewall.  Has anyone had any luck patching these things, or am I
> going to have to replace the whole thing?  (I kinda have a feeling which one
> it will be.)

OMG, I am *so* there.

It's fixable, if you are careful.

Here's the procedure:

Materials:

-Hacksaw, probably in a single handle rather than a bow
-A decent length of 5/16 ID fuel injector hose - say, 6-8"
-Fuel injector clamps. The size that fits snugly on the hose.  I ended up
using hose clamps, which worked, but aren't the best fit.

The fuel line is held up to the bottom of the car with metal "fingers" that
curl around rubber grommets the lines pass thru, every so often.  You can
bend open the fingers so that the line drops away from the bottom of the
car.  Do that.

Take some 100 or 150 grit sand paper and sand clean the line for a good
distance around the leak, say 4-5" each side.  This will make it way easier
to slide the fuel injector hose over, and will help ensure a nice, tight fit
of the hose when it is clamped to the hard line.

Cut a slice through the broken line, at the break.  It is much better if you
only need to make one cut vs. removing a section of the line.  You will
probably NOT be able to get a full hacksaw under there, so I suggest using
the single handle thing that a hacksaw blade can be mounted in.  It's a
PITA.

Slide the fuel injector hose on so that it covers the cut you just made -
try to get the cut in the center of the length of hose.  I have not had a
LOT of luck of sliding the hose backwards once I have pushed it on, so plan
carefully how you will put the hose on.  You can bend the line SOME, just
realize it's probably getting brittle if it already sprung a leak.

****MAKE SURE**** you have the clamps on the hose BEFORE you slide it on the
fuel line.  Use at least two clamps either side of the break.  Consider
carefully where the screw on the hose clamp will lie; you do not want it
rubbing against the other line and causing another leak (gee, how would I
know this?).

Tighten down the clamps good....just do not crush the hard line by
overtightening.

Check for leakage at the hose ends.

Voila.

| Jim Jarrett,Rochester NY      '93 Passat GLX, '84 Scirocco    |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net         '81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |