Rrotor position when @ TDC? and another tricky day forme![LONGISH]

stetson wrote:

<snippage>
> To do this I need the golf running and I have 1 simple question that will
> finally help me achieve that goal.
> Where does the rotor point when @ #1 TDC?
> Right now it's pointing @ the plug for cyl. #4.

Whatchutalking about Willis? #4?

> See....here's the deal. I was able to get the Golf running, but it would
> dog until it reached over 3k and had almost no torque at any time.
> Even though it was running I knew that this was not a good situation.
> I then decided to do things right (unfortunately I did NOT while the
> engine was out) and actually check the timing marks on ALL the timing
> gears so I popped off the pulleys and covers and there it was.
>
> The little dimple on the intermediate shaft was completely under the crank
> pulley instead of the "dimple in notch" situation that it should be. I
> don't truly understand how it could effect it soooo much when I was
> pulling the dist. gear and re-aligning it each time before but when
> cranked over now it dogs just a bit (did I mention that it toasted my
> timing light too? I'm timing by ear.) until you hit 1500RPM then goes up
> to 6K like a champ!

OK, if you set it and NOW it's not as you set it then I have to think
something changed- like the belt jumped a tooth or three OR perhaps
the keyway has  been sheared and your cam and/or crank pulley is
rotating under time of max torque.

Re time the timing belt, Dist, Intermediate shaft, crank, cam gear
combo again and paint a stripe of white-out or some thing across the
pulley to shaft boundary(s).

Oh, and take you time, do what needs doing and we'll be here and happy
to see you when you get around to it.

(It's time to switch to digest mode.)

hth,
TBerk