Rrotor position when @ TDC? and another tricky day for me![LONGISH]

Well.....it's been a banner weekend <please note the end of my tongue is
not only in, but has entirely punctured through my cheek and is waggling
@ the world>.

I missed Cincy.

I missed meeting some of the nicest people it's been my pleasure to
converse w/ electronically (MANY thanks go to Brian MacGarvey for
bringing the rest of my purchase to Cincy, and Rhett for transporting
it pro bono).

I missed the camping (Thanks to Rhett and Mark for reimbursing my costs +.
It is REALLY appreciated!)

I missed Rich and Kirsten's tumble, and am very happy that both of them
are (mostly) unscathed but sorry it happened since it heralded the demise
of one of the finer Roc's it has been my pleasure to "see".

I missed something else along the way I guess, and due to that my domestic
situation has radically changed.
I'll be moving soon, and as much as it pains me, I will need to loose some
serious weight beforehand. I'll probably be posting a for sale thread
soon.

To do this I need the golf running and I have 1 simple question that will
finally help me achieve that goal.
Where does the rotor point when @ #1 TDC?
Right now it's pointing @ the plug for cyl. #4.

See....here's the deal. I was able to get the Golf running, but it would
dog until it reached over 3k and had almost no torque at any time.
Even though it was running I knew that this was not a good situation.
I then decided to do things right (unfortunately I did NOT while the
engine was out) and actually check the timing marks on ALL the timing
gears so I popped off the pulleys and covers and there it was.

The little dimple on the intermediate shaft was completely under the crank
pulley instead of the "dimple in notch" situation that it should be. I
don't truly understand how it could effect it soooo much when I was
pulling the dist. gear and re-aligning it each time before but when
cranked over now it dogs just a bit (did I mention that it toasted my
timing light too? I'm timing by ear.) until you hit 1500RPM then goes up
to 6K like a champ!

Still some fine tuning left to do (ergo my question, and the need of a
new timing light) but it should be road worthy tomorrow, which is good
since I may need it as an extra moving vehicle for a bit (can you imagine
a train of 3 Rocs and a Golf packed to the gills moving, in what Patrick
has so aptly captured and titled, "Arkansas style").

Any replies will be greatly appreciated and welcomed.

I will now announce that my participation on the list may be rather scant
for the next 3 mo. period as there are just a few things in life that are
more important than a Roc (you may now slap me and ask me to come back to
my senses, but please do so to the non cheek-hole/tongue side), my
broadband will be moving w/ me but doesn't do well w/ transitions, and I'm
gonna be a busy boy looking for a suitable RURAL house (preferably w/ out
buildings, no blaring rap @ 2:12am, and the ability for me to NOT worry
about my tools/cars being stolen or molested every 3 min.) to be my
daughter and my new home.

Love you kids! Just thought that you should know that I'm not pouting
about my inability to make Cincy when you notice that your most egregious
noise maker falls silent.

I hope that all had a WONDERFUL time @ Cincy (and due to Daun and his
[extended too] family's most incredible hosting gifts I doubt that any
other time could be had) and I look forward to seeing some of you at
events later this fall AND COME HELL OR HIGH WATER CINCY 2005!!!!!

Slinking back into my hole,

Tim

Minicomputer:
	A computer that can be afforded on the budget of a middle-level manager.