Regret

Drew MacPherson said:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Eric S wrote:
>
>> Free unix (al la Linux) is "eh" to me.  Its mostly crap in my opinion (I
>> am a recent RHCE, already certified in everything known to man under
>> Sun).
>
> Eric, out your ear with it, Sun boy.

Exactly why I stated I have a comparison point, I am a RHCE as well, are you?

> Sounds like a mainframe to me.  We had one of those - took up about 4,000
> square feet of floor space, and needed its own substation to run it.  And
> what do we call Solaris for Intel, crap on crap? :)

Ahh yes, someone that needs to learn.  Mainframe it is not.

http://www.sun.com/servers/highend/sunfire15k/index.xml

Dynamic domains.....yeah...

Oh, and I'll be the FIRST to admit, Solaris x86 is sucky, ONLY because of
its lack of supported hardware.  Would make one hell of a kickass
workstation on cheap hardware.  Guess its a good thing Sun partnered with
AMD for our super low end "servers" isn't it?  Yeah, INTEL sucks, any way
you look at it.

> Eric, take a look at Sun's list of vulnerabilities for any version
> released over the past 10 years and then repeat that sentence without
> having your nose grow out of proportions... :)  Linux is not the only free
> Unix out there, nor is it the best, but there's no Unix, free or
> otherwise, that can claim to be free of vulnerabilities (even though
> OpenBSD has been free of remote vulnerabilities in the default install for
> 7 years! :) )  Any OS when poorly administered is going to be a target -
> Linux and Windows are the biggest targets because they have the biggest
> install base.

And then, look at support and patch distribution....lets see here...your a
Sun customer, and you have support...guess what you get? Sun Alerts with
any  and every possible vulnerability popped into your inbox with the
patch waiting to go....yeah, you REALLY get that kind of support from free
ware...uh huh.

Now, I DO agree with the statement that any improperly admined box is
going to have a problem, security or otherwise...trust me, thats why I
have a job.

> Now lets get back to arguing about injector size and leave the OS wars for
> comp.os.my.penis.is.bigger.than.yours shall we?

But Drew...we dont have Josh here to argue with?!?!!?  Has he gone over to
how.to.have.your.car.stolen.for.insurance.fraud?

:-D

Eric