Regret

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Eric S wrote:

> Exactly why I stated I have a comparison point, I am a RHCE as well, are you?

What's certification but a piece of paper, Eric?  Does MSCE mean anything?
CNE?  Only on a resume.  Real world experience is what counts, and
although I'm a self proclaimed network geek, I've been administering
various Unixes for more than a dozen years - Linux included.

> Ahh yes, someone that needs to learn.  Mainframe it is not.
>
> http://www.sun.com/servers/highend/sunfire15k/index.xml

Not hardware-wise, but idea-wise, this is not distributed computing Eric -
this is mainframe idealogy born again.

> Dynamic domains.....yeah...
>
> Oh, and I'll be the FIRST to admit, Solaris x86 is sucky, ONLY because of
> its lack of supported hardware.  Would make one hell of a kickass
> workstation on cheap hardware.  Guess its a good thing Sun partnered with
> AMD for our super low end "servers" isn't it?  Yeah, INTEL sucks, any way
> you look at it.

Intel is cheap and meets the needs of the masses.  Sun is not cheap and
does not meet the needs of the masses.  Life goes on.

> And then, look at support and patch distribution....lets see here...your a
> Sun customer, and you have support...guess what you get? Sun Alerts with
> any  and every possible vulnerability popped into your inbox with the
> patch waiting to go....yeah, you REALLY get that kind of support from free
> ware...uh huh.

You get what you PAY for, Eric.  Nothing more, nothing less.

> Now, I DO agree with the statement that any improperly admined box is
> going to have a problem, security or otherwise...trust me, thats why I
> have a job.

Yeah, and that's why network guys shoot server admins to relieve stress...
:)

> But Drew...we dont have Josh here to argue with?!?!!?  Has he gone over to
> how.to.have.your.car.stolen.for.insurance.fraud?

Quite possibly true... ;)

Drew

--

84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD     http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd