Im home and My accident story

I made it home last night with the car, thanks to Mark(mardek?) from the scirocco list. He towed my car from Ohio to Delaware and he lives in Ontario! 10 hours in the opposite direction just because he wanted to help. I never spoke more then 2 words to mark before, when he offered to tow me(with his mk1!). Also to see 30 people from the scirocco list arrive on the accident scene and have the car out of the ditch and on the trailer in literally 3 minutes was quite a sight. Truly amazing friendship in the Scirocco community that cant be taken lightly. But Im ok and Kirsten seems to be doing well, with minor bumps and bruises.

Heres the rundown...coming down a long straight away I notice how dark the road is ahead and a blind uphill turn is coming up. So I downshift before the turn and almost instantly the back end gets loose through the turn. the car then goes sideways and I try to correct it, but its too far gone and we start sliding. Next thing I know we start flipping over and eventually come to rest on the tires. I received a ticket for "Failure to Recognize Conditions" which is their way of saying you really werent speeding or doing anything illegal, but we want to write a ticket anyway. So I now on top of my totalled car, have my first points on my liscense.

In the end Im just glad that no one was seriously hurt and it is just a car, so while it sucks that its totalled, its not the end of the world.

I actually just tried starting the car and what do ya know...it only took 2 cranks and it started right up. Idle took a minute to settle down but It definitely runs and moves under its own power. I am truly impressed with the way the car held up overall. I'll post more updates and what my plans are as I figure things out.

Kirstens page again for pictures

http://www.funksoulkitty.org/cincy/accident/accident.html

-Rich
1988 Scirocco 1.8t