the 9A transaxle

I would say that it is basically identical to an FN or FF but closer ratio.
The 9A is limited by not being able to take the 100mm flanges without some
machining (slight but still needed).  The gear ratio (I believe) is similar
if not the same as a 4K but the 4K will take the 100mm flanges without
machining.  FF and FN (depending on the genre FN) are taller trannies so
better fuel mileage but not as quick.  The earlier FN was put into diesels
and has decent gearing for gas but still not as close as a 4K or 9A but not
as tall as the FF or later FN.

It all depends on what type of gearing you want.  You can make any trans do
anything you want no matter what the code says but the code tells you what
gears were in the trans when stock.  If you want a quicker accelerating car
then close ratio would be for you (2Y, AGB, 4K, 9A, etc) if you want fuel
mileage then go with the others (AUG, later FN, FF, etc).  If you want to
try to have 4 quick gears and an overdrive (with a big jump from 4th to 5th)
then throw a .75 or smaller 5th into a close ratio trans.  I don't believe
that any are more suseptable to SMS but I have seen more AGBs SMS than
others.  Clutch size is pretty unlimited as long as it fits.  You can use
the larger later clutch in them as well (over 210mm) but a 190, 200, 210
will all work as long as you get them with the appropriate shaft hole size.
AGB, 2Y have the larger shaft where as most others have the smaller shaft.
When you buy the clutch just specify 16v for larger shaft and 8v for smaller
shaft then the parts guy/gal won't be discombobulated (lol, I love that
word).

Anyway, that's what I know.  I'm pretty sure its all right.  :)

HTH!!

Dave