Oil pressure Failure- questions 1981 scirocco

Scirocco wrote:

>I am experiencing intermittent oil pressure problems since I performed
>recent work last week. I can't help to think it may be related. But how?
>
>I replaced my rear crank oil seal along with my clutch.  I also took the oil
>pan off and installed a "windage tray". In the process I had to remove the
>oil pump. I had no problems with re-assembly, and torqued the pump bolts to
>specifications. Additionally, I an NOT experiencing any oil leaks and have
>an adequate oil level.
>
>The nature of the problem is bizarre. Some times when I start the engine I
>have zero pressure. At other times it is if nothing is wrong and my gauge is
>showing normal pressure.
>
>What is the problem?  Just a oil pump going bad?
>
>Anybody else experience this?
>
>David Guido
>1981 Scirroco "S"
>1980 Scirocco 16v project

I also just installed a windage tray in my '86, but I haven't
experienced any pressure problem so far;  I did, however, uninstall a
rather thick oil pan gasket (metal sandwiched between two layers of
fiber).  Since the windage tray has an integrated rubber gasket, I
deemed the original gasket expendible... but I did ponder for a moment
"hmmm, If I remove this gasket, will the oil pump intake have enough
clearance from the inside of the oil pan? (Imagine slurping a milkshake
from a glass through a straw... when the straw goes too deep - to the
very bottom of the glass - suckage becomes difficult, and the straw
collapses, etc. )  I don't know if this is an existing issue with our
cars or not, but that's what came to mind for me.  I've had no issues
for the last couple days with my set-up.

I also uninstalled a plastic factory "slosh baffle" from the oil pump;
it didn't seem to me that the two were mutually compatible.

Ya sure ya didn't leave anything in the oil pan to get sucked into the
pump, right? ;)

- Camron from Vancouver, WA USA
   '86.5 Black 16V 2.0L