Starter Part # look up please

Comments within...

Quoting Neptuno <neptunonc@yahoo.com>:

> I think that mine is relayed already, but im not sure.
> Any one have a pic or idea of what it would look like?

Bascially it will be an add-on, a relay somewheres under the hood, connected
directly to your starter, and to the battery...

> What does the heat shield look like?? And what would
> be considered appropriate insulation?

The shield looks like just a pressed-into-shape steel that would go over the
starter itself.  As for the appropriate insulation go to a FLAPS and get a
starter insulating cover, about 30.00, and this alone will help.  Heat is the
problem more than power.

> If anyone knows more info on this relay fix please let
> me know.
> Could these relays go bad and need replacement after
> some years? I have a feeling like I said before that
> mine has been relayed already, but Im not sure. so if
> this problem is present while the starter has been
> relayed than that could mean a worned or bad relay
> right?

Relay typically work or they don't.  If the car will start, but only when
cold, I think you need a relay kit.  If is stutters, as in it goes on and off
very rapidly when trying to start, then yes, it might be the relay.

However, let me try to explain what seems to be happening.  You are getting
power to the starter, but not enough (if heat soak is really the problem).
The relay kit avoids putting power through the starting circuit (IE- ignition
switch to the fuse-block, F.B. to the battery, battery to the F.B., F.B. to
the starter).  Going through this circuit drops the amperage of the power to
the starter.  If the relay can get the starter more power, more direcly, then
it is more likely to start when hot.

I went through this with the Ex's Cabriolet, and I had a throroughly flat head
by the time I figured it all out (not to mention a hole in the wall)...  :-)

HTH

Cheers,

David Utley
Cable Volkswagen