california smog defeats our engine swap

Krazy Horse wrote:

> Also, *any* kind of engine swap must first be cleared by the ref. So
> don't tell them that you have an engine swap. If it passes the sniffer,
> you should be able to pass no problem. Just make sure you don't have any
> obvious visual fails (i.e. adjustable cam sprocket, aftermarket header,
> ect...).

My last California test went extremely smoothly, considering that I was
sporting an adjustable cam sprocket w/no upper cover and Schrick
260/276's to potentially screw up the sniffer test.  Passed the visual
w/o question and once I cleared the sniffer I was out in a flash.. I
consider myself lucky.

Here in Arizona the state runs the smog stations.  They do use a
treadmill-based test like California, but the visual inspection appeared
to be nothing more than Goober verifying that there was indeed an engine
resident under the hood, and the sniffer test was REAL fast.. ..seconds
later, it's "congratulations, you just passed!" and I'm out the door.. :)

--
Kevin Collins
Chandler, AZ