16V Transmission Troubles

I've had rpm specific vibrations from the engine twisting the exhaust onto
things, in my case the front stress bar, and the rear axle.  No doubt bad
motor mounts would exaggerate the problem too, but I couldn't track I mine
down till it was on a hoist. Then the rub marks were easy to see, even
though at rest there was quite a good amount of clearance. But there are
ikely other causes, I had one in the shift linkage that went away when I
put my hand on the shift knob, there was a piece of the "lollipop" in the
linkage missing, under the car, that was the culprit. Sometimes a certain
torque, or frequency of vibration will set these annoying things in
motion.

Figuring out if it does it when you rev the engine (not moving) or if it
does it in neutral rolling, or turning/not turning, clutch in/out etc may
help narrow it down. Darn cars eh? If you suspect exhaust, anything that
passes within 1/2" or so is worth suspecting, it can move a fair bit down
under load.
Cathy