Norcal GTi Cup to add the Scirocco to the series

Yup, you heard it here first. I've been participating in NASA's HPDE
(High Performance Driving Experience) events over the last few months
in preparation to get a real racing license and enter the GTi Cup.
Currently there are about 4 active cars in the series, which is down
quite a bit from the late 1990s. One of the veteran Cup racer's was
actually responsible for getting me interested in NASA (vs SCCA), and I
told him I always wanted to campaign a Scirocco II. Unfortunately there
is no class that the Mk2 would be competitive in. I asked why not let
the scirocco in the gti cup. I reasoned that the only advantage the Mk2
has is its coefficient of drag. The GTi has a shorter wheelbase and is
lighter. I told him that if they let other cars in, they could double
the participation and make the series an exciting one again.

Anyway, he kicked the idea around with the other racers, doubting they
would be open to other cars, but it looks like they are seriously
considering creating an addendum to the Cup rules! The Scirocco I and
II (8v), possibly even the Cabriolet and Golf 2 and III(!) are being
considered. 16v is not ruled out, but at the least will have a weight
penalty.

I just spoke with him and he's already gotten the ok from NASA's
president to allow the local cup members to create the subclass, rules
and policing. They are going to meet soon to get some stuff on paper.

So right now, this is for the Northern California NASA chapter only,
but who knows, if it catches on, we may see a change to the national
rules...maybe even an 80s Vintage VW Cup :^)

Stay tuned.

chrisg