Can a relay go bad? (heat soak related) UPDATE!!!!!

I have the same issue with my Golf. It also is an Automajik. IIRC the
problem, according to VW or Bosche, is a poor ground connection. If the car
doesn't start, unhook the wire from the starter going to the ignition switch
(you might have to cut it and install a connector for ease, VW put one there
on my Golf). Take the wire from the starter and touch it to B+. This will
hotwire the starter, just remember to have the ignition switch to "ON".
Always starts when the key doesn't do it.

-Craig
'83 California Edition (RIP)
"Nightmare" '88 16v (PG-T Proj.)
"Calypso" '91 Golf GL (Daily Driver)