Can a relay go bad? (heat soak related) UPDATE!!!!!

--- Neptuno <neptunonc@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- "John C. Worden" <scirocco@prexar.com> wrote:

> > >Yes it is!!!...and nothing from the penutt
> > galery...
> > >
> > Hmm, it can be the relay then if it's getting
> tired
> > or it too is
> > getting hot, but it wouldn't surprise me if your
> > starter is going
> > bad either.  It's usually the solenoid that goes
> > fwiw.
>
> Im going to check the conections and replace the
> relay. Like ATS did with a radiator fan relay aprox
> $3.95
>
> I do hope that it is not the starter. I while back I
> let go of an ebay sale for a starter for Auto
> Scirocco(it went for $13.00). You dont see those
> everyday unused and cheap.....
>
> Oh well I should keep you guys updated....BTW do the
> auto sciroccos have a special type of heat shield on
> the starter? ANyone have a pic?
>
> Gracias,
> Tony

***START UPDATE****

So when I first started this thread I was unaware what
was going on with my car and the starter. Mynd you the
Roc-Roc is Automatic.

Problem:
1)Car would not start after driving at continued
crusing, high way speeds.
2) after stoping the car would not crank unless it sat
for 30 to 60 minutes.

Possible cause:
1)Heat soak from engine bay to the starter.
2)Crappy starter
3)Crappy wiring
4)Lack of heat Shield

Possible Solution:
1)Wire the starter to a Relay (bosch WR-1)
2)Buy new starter
3)Replace wires both + and - for better electrical
flow
4)Get a heat shield in place

Conclusion:
Many automatics where wired with the WR-1 kit that
bosch provided as to give more juice to the starters
that where engulfed by the heat caused by the
automatic transmission and the taking off of the heay
shield.

Using this relay is a smart idea. I found out that my
car had been relayed and after looking for a
replacement I found a cheap 30 AMP $4.00 relay for Fog
lights.(buy an extra they are cheap) It was Identical
to the Bosch one with the exception of the price.

I replaced only the relay and when on a 45 minute
drive at crusing speed and stop then started the car
again.....Bingo the car cranked right up even with
tepms on the 115*cel.

Just wanted to share that.

Arrancando cuando caliente,
Tony.