Weird Charging Problem

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 15:42:46 -0700, "Brad Sterling"
<bgsterling@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Having a weird problem with my '86 16v.  I was just driving the car,
>everything was normal.  Stop it for about 15 mins, went to start it, and it
>was barely cranking over.  Jump started it no problem.  As I was driving,
>the voltage regulator started dropping and kept dropping until it hit about
>9.5 volts.  It's now hanging there.  I drove it the 15 miles home and it
>read 9.5 volts the whole way.  When I hit the brakes, it would dip.  But
>when I let off the brakes, it would come back to 9.5 volts.  I slapped a
>multimeter on it and got the same reading, even when revving the car.  I'm
>guessing alternator, but I've never seen one partially die.  They always
>seem to just die completely, not put out a small charge (not that I'm
>complaining.  It got me home).  What do you all think?

Check voltage regulator/brush assembly on back of alternator.  If
brushes are less than 1/4" and/or they are not both shiny on the
contact surface (from poor contact on the shaft) replace the part.
Only about $25-30 and a 5 minute repair.

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9