Weird Charging Problem

<snip Gordon>
Check voltage regulator/brush assembly on back of alternator.  If
brushes are less than 1/4" and/or they are not both shiny on the
contact surface (from poor contact on the shaft) replace the part.
 <end snip>

Thanks, Gordon.  You nailed it.  The VR wasn't overly worn, but not as shiny
as I would have expected.  I replaced it with a known good and all was right
with the world.  On a related note, has/is anyone else running the "extra
voltage" VR from Potterman?  How many miles did you get on it?  That's the
one that went south on me.  The brushes are still .5-.75 inches long
(eyeball measurement).

-Brad
'86 Scirocco 16v