Weird Charging Problem

Hi all,

	Having a weird problem with my '86 16v.  I was just driving the car,
everything was normal.  Stop it for about 15 mins, went to start it, and it
was barely cranking over.  Jump started it no problem.  As I was driving,
the voltage regulator started dropping and kept dropping until it hit about
9.5 volts.  It's now hanging there.  I drove it the 15 miles home and it
read 9.5 volts the whole way.  When I hit the brakes, it would dip.  But
when I let off the brakes, it would come back to 9.5 volts.  I slapped a
multimeter on it and got the same reading, even when revving the car.  I'm
guessing alternator, but I've never seen one partially die.  They always
seem to just die completely, not put out a small charge (not that I'm
complaining.  It got me home).  What do you all think?

-Brad
'86 Scirocco 16v