Shifter play problem

> I have a 87 vw scirococ 16v and I have a lot of shifter play.  I can go in
> every gear but when I put it in a gear I can move the shifter around like
> left and right like it isn't in gear.  anyone have this problem too?  if
> so how did you'll fix it?

Ah, here I go with the sloppy lollipop explanation again. There is a part
of the linkage that is supposed to have a round plastic knob on it (like a
lollipop), but that knob sometimes falls off and all that is left is the
short shaft that it was on. This can cause a lot of play. On mine (a TT
short shift) this part is held on with a bolt, and the bolt can back out
and cause play as well. I think the stock setup has a nut instead.
Regardless, if that's the problem, get someone to sit in the car and move
the shifter, and take a listen underneath by the firewall/DS. You will
likely hear the offending part slopping around where it should be in
snugly.
If that's not it? I'm no help!
Cathy