Gas tank replacement

On the topic of replacing gas tanks....I have sourced a new one here in Canada for $425CDN shipped (ouch)....now, does anybody have the procedure of replacing the old tank with the new one?  I have questioned mechanics about it and they all shudder at the thought....I want it replaced and will do it myself.  ALso, does anybody know what type of sending unit is inside the '87 16v tank?  Is there just the in-tank full transfer pump?  Or is there other things inside that can be swapped...or do I need new parts.  Please let me know any info as this is one I am going to do myself against every trained mechanics advice!!