From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Allyn
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 3:31 PM
To: scirocco list
Subject: cis-e operation with going/bad o2 sensor

this is on the passat, but its still the same cis-e so it applies to
basically all of us with 16vs.

just wanted to bounce this off of the list to make sure im not off on my

diagnosis.

symptoms:
- low power while driving (no misses, just not as much power as there
should
be)
- at idle:
-- idle speed constant, but engine stumbles slightly every 4-5 seconds,
then
recovers
-- noticable smell of fuel
-- dpr current fluctuating at ~6mA +/- 1mA (fluctuations follow
stumbling)
-- o2 sensor voltage fluctuating between 0.2 to 0.8 VDC (also follows
stumbling, and fluctuates more than i normally see)
-- manual adjustments of sensor plate, bringing DPR to various readings
(3mA, 10mA, 15mA), all yield the same symptoms (stumbles, fuel smell),
once
DPR stabilizes.
-- manual adjustment of sensor plate beyond the DPR range (adjusted 1/2
turn
beyond hitting the stop at ~16.5mA) yields smooth idle and no fuel
smell.
(for those not DPR savy, this action forces the management to run a tad
leaner than it wants to based on o2 sensor feedback alone).

i think its the o2 sensor. while its still functioning, it appears that
the
voltage is lagging behind what is actually going on with the exhaust
gasses,
causing the management to hunt excessively.

have i missed anything obvious here? any other checks i should do before

ordering a replacement o2 sensor?

thx in advance for assist.
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger Scirocco GTO 2.0 16v (daily driver, 200k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX (33.3% complete, rocco #7)
86.5 Occo 16v Trailer (rocco #8)
90 Passat GL 16V (the wifes new daily, 200k)