Oil leaks

Hey ya'll.... Took the project rocco for a drive yesterday and was greeted by popping noises coming from my drivers side drive axle....after the drive I also noticed a good amount of what appears to be gear oil leaking from the transaxle....I also have a bit of engine oil leaking as well....what would facilitate leakage of gear oil?  Is my CV flange f**ked?  The cv joint/boot has no visible damage or tears but obviously something is amiss....would I be able to go at this myself or should I pay someone?  Thanks for any input.