Oil leaks

Chad Eatock wrote:

> Hey ya'll.... Took the project rocco for a drive yesterday and was
> greeted by popping noises coming from my drivers side drive
> axle....after the drive I also noticed a good amount of what appears
> to be gear oil leaking from the transaxle....I also have a bit of
> engine oil leaking as well....what would facilitate leakage of gear
> oil?  Is my CV flange f**ked?  The cv joint/boot has no visible
> damage or tears but obviously something is amiss....would I be able
> to go at this myself or should I pay someone?  Thanks for any input.

My input would be to get under there and see exactly where the gear oil
is coming from.  The flange seal could be shot, the seal inside the
flange (when you take the halfshaft off it's the little disk in the
center), or the flange itself has grooves worn into it that'll leak even
with a new flange seal.

Since you heard popping noises coming from the axle, I'd suspect the
little inner seal dealie is leaking, which washed out the grease in the
inner cv, and now your cv joint is fubarred...

As for the fix, you can do it yourself.  Learning to do little things
like this when you own a 20 year old car will be MUCH easier on your
wallet in the long (and short) run...

HTH,

Mark.
75