[tech] stering rack and cv boot questions

Answer 1:

There is also an adjustment at the end of the rack where the tie rods
attach.  Even if, by chance, you got them in the exact position I would
still almost guarantee that your steering wheel will be off as even a slight
turn of any adjustment will throw it off.  Now, there is a way around this.
Since you are only going to be messing with your tow, you should be able to
get it really close if not perfect yourself with a measuring tape.  It does
take longer as you will have to make sure you are on level ground
(preferably smooth concrete) and after each adjustment you will have to move
the car forward and back a ways so it will settle before remeasuring.  It
will take a while but it will also help you to learn how much one turn will
change your alignment and you'll be able to adjust if faster next time.

I like manual steering for a few reasons.  It is lower maintenance, the
pumps/hoses/connections/rack always seems to leak somewhere, I feel more in
control, less drag on the motor, less stuff under your hood, a good workout
when turning sharp when stopped! (which I believe is the only downside of
having manual steering since both systems basically feel the same when
driving down the road--of course this does not apply to much heavier
cars/trucks but I think we are talking A1 here)

Answer 2:

Unless you have just pulled the axles out of a car that you have driven
and/or know that they are good then I wouldn't put any unnecessary work into
junk CVs.  If you do know they are good and just need boots, most definitely
replace them and have a spare set.  Always handy and it only takes a few
minutes.  If you decide to take them apart, through experience, I am a firm
believer of making sure the balls go back where they came as I have taken
apart and reassembled what would look like perfect CVs only to have them
click afterwards (and, yes, they were put together properly).  The boots
will stay flexible long enough for you to use them as long as you use them
within the next 20 years or so.

HTH!

Dave