Abandoned Scirocco...

Not sure how things work in Kalifornia, but this is how it would work here in
Arizona (I got two of my cars this way).  If the thing is on private property
you would contact the property owner and if they don't know who it belongs to
or have no vested interest in it, there's a form you can get them to sign
that says they give you authority to tow it.  Within 7 days of towing it, you
notify MVD that you towed it and where it got towed to.  They send an agent out
to do an inspection (VIN's) and they leave you a form that says they inspected
it and it is where you say it is.  You send the first form in with the
inspection form plus something like $15, I can't remember exactly.  MVD sends out a
notice to the last registered owners address.  Most of the time they've moved
several times and can't be found.  If there's no reply from the last owner in
about a month you'll get a title in your name mailed to you.  TA-DA.  Free car.

If it's on a public street it gets a little more complicated.  If an officer
left an "abandoned vehicle check" on it and never followed up on it to have it
towed it may still be logged into a computer somewhere as to where the car
was.  Usually after 48 hours or so the police will have it towed to their
storage yard and eventually the car will be auctioned off.  If the car is in front
of somebody's house or business, you might be able to talk them into letting
you "move" it onto their property for a day or two, THEN have them sign the form
and you haul it off and go through the above process.

Good luck!

SAVE THE ROCS!!!!!

Tom in Tucson