How do you know when your water pump is going....

Thanks everyone for the water pump info , my coolant
light stopped blinking now (??) , so I got a new water
pump and pulled the pulleys off and belts , wiggled
the pump hub and its totally tight , not loose at all
, I had a pulley from the junkyard and was gonna
replace it , this is the pulley that has that bearing
in the center or whatever you call it , but what the
hell is the deal with this thing ? does any one know
why it is like that and what is the fix for it if
there is any ? Aaron in SJ -