Rocco won't hold an idle

Just in time for the frigid northeast weather, my scirocco decides it doesn't want to hold an idle.  When I start the car to warm it up it will hold somewhere between 800 and 1000 RPMs.  But as soon as I start driving it, when I clutch, the RPMs dip down to 250 and shoot back up over 1000, and continue to do this, some times it stalls, sometimes it takes a few times.  Any ideas on what this might be?  I just replaced the alternator 2 weeks ago, but it was doing this before that problem.  Please help.

Rob
84 'Rocco

--
Goodfellas Screenprinting & Design
www.goodfellas-ink.com

Free 20 MB Bannerless Domain Hosting, 1000 MB Data Transfer
10 Personalized POP and Web E-mail Accounts, and more.
Get It Now At www.doteasy.com