Tricks for valve retainer keepers?

I actually use my 20 ton shop press for doing head work.  It's the cat's
ass for doing valve guides, but it's also great for compressing valve
springs.  My special tool is a piece of aluminium cylinder that has the
same OD as the upper spring seat, with a nice large window cut out of the
cylinder for accessing the keepers.

I tried the drill press route once - it worked OK but required the use of
an extra hand.  With the press the valve spring stays compressed by
itself, leaving two hands free to cajole those damned keepers into the
grooves on the valve.  I actually use a pair of long-nose needle nose
pliers to drop the keepers into place - then when you let up on the valve
spring gently the keepers are forced into the grooves by the upper spring
seat.

VW heads fit wonderfully well on the platform of the press - and a chunk
of 2X8 makes a good base to protect the bottom of the head.

Drew