Tricks for valve retainer keepers?

Yes, I am compressing the springs. That part is working fine.

The problem is that the valve was sticking in the keeper/retainer
assembly. The keepers weren't sliding out of the retainer so that I
could get them out.

I have now gotten the valve I needed off. It took quite a bit of effort.
I used liquid wrench and tried the socket bit to jar the retainer.
Eventually, I put the head on a piece of wood with a rag stuffed in the
chamber, and held the head down while tightening the compressor. It took
pretty much all my weight on the head to do it. I don't think I hurt
anything, but it is looking like I need a new valve anyway as it looks
to be just slightly burnt in the seal area.

I wonder if stainless valves with 7mm stems are just naturally more
difficult to work with? I took out one other valve for reference, and it
was only just a tiny bit easier...

Anyway, thanks everybody for the help! And I'm very much interested in
hearing about better valve spring compressor options than my crappy
$14.99 parts store POS...especially with regards to something that makes
reassembly easier. There's no room past the tool for me to get something
in there to hold the keeper in place when reassembling.

Neal

--
Neal Tovsen