what type of oil is better

--- L F <rocco16v@netzero.net> wrote:
> Like ten viscosity points makes a huge difference... your mechanic is playing games.
>  Use what you want.

Sometimes these old VW engines (and/or their oil pressure sensor systems) get a wee bit sensitive,
and 10W-30 vs 10W-40 (and 20W-50) can make a difference if that frigging buzzer starts going off.
Really though, in most cases, it's not an issue.

Old-school thinking was to keep the two numbers as close as possible, something to do with longer
chain molecules or something, resulting in less varnish, longer oil life, etc.  I'm reporting what
I've been told, and goodness knows God didn't make me to be a chemist.

> Small wheel w/ power steering; no downsides, all up.

Only consideration is visibility of dash instruments.

Ron

=====
Cheapass Ron
'81 Scirocco S - "Victor Jr."  7SM
(2.0L 16V, GL 4-speed w/ Quaife installed, Megasquirt coming...)