Cams, lights, revoulutions, and the weather(long)

--- David Utley <mr.utility@highstream.net> wrote:
> So...  I take it this is a P.C. list?  :-\

No, it isn't.  Thankfully.

> Did that statement actually offend anyone here on the
> list?  Seriously, email
> me off-list if you prefer, I am very curious if this
> offended anyone, purely
> as a matter of satisfying my curiousity...  I do not mean
> to start an argument
> over it...  :-)

I will say that I did not e-mail George about it.

However.

This is the ONE term that pisses me off.  It's a context
issue - when used like this it means something is stupid /
lame / a dumb idea etc.  To me anyway, it's derogatory.

Call me a fag all you want, just don't go telling me about
your "gay headlights" or whatever.  :p

Now on to the on-topic:

> >  Question the first : My 86 rocco(stock JH), solid
> lifter or hydro?

If it's the original head, solid.  As has been stated, VW
went to hydro lifters in '88 with the JH engine.  Most of
your average VW people in the 'states won't realize that
the Sciroccos had hydro heads in '88 because we didn't get
the 8v that year, whereas Canada and the rest of the world
did.

"Confuzzled" George?  Sounds gay.  And besides, that's *MY*
term.  :p  :p  :p

 And is
> > there any way to tell without removing the valve cover?

Look at the sticker on your hood.  It will list valve
adjustment specs if it's a solid lifter head.

> >  Question #2 : My tach randomly cuts out. I just had
> the cluster out of the
> > car and apart, so it's entirely possible that something
> didn't get plugged
> > back in properly, but I'm a lazy POS and don't wanna
> take it back out yet.

I would recommend looking at your grounds.  That may be it,
or you could have messed up something when you had it out.
I'm not an electrician though.

> >  Question #3 : Gay head lights.

I think we've covered this sufficiently.

Oh wait, that means that you have rainbow colored lights,
right??  Damn, here I thought you were being offensive but
I just took it wrong what with being all sensitive about
the subject.  :)

> >  Question #4 : The outside temp gauge(MFA) has not
> worked since I got the
> > car. It just reads -40, is this more likely to be them
> temp sender or the
> > wiring?

Shooting from the hip I'd say temp sender.

 Where is the sender and what does it look like?

After 30 Sciroccos I have to admit I've never had one with
an MFA.  I think from previous discussions the temp probe
is mounted up around the front bumper someplace.

HTH!

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 S, '85, '86 & '88 Sciroccos, '96 Passat GLX Wagon, '56 Cessna 172
For Sale: '90 Passat Wagon, '82 Scirocco.
"My rabbit has a human foot on his keychain.  That's not the scary part.  What I wanna know is what those keys are for." - The Four Postmen