rebuilding an ABA shortie - what do I HAVE to replace?

But what portion of the block must I absolutely replace? I bring this up
primarily because I see differing schools of thought on the rod bolts.
___________

Don't skimp on the rod bolts - the cost of doing so if they fail is
horrendous.  That said, I have seen several of the 1.8-2.0 style stretch
bolt motors have their rod bolts and head bolts reused and everything be
fine.  If I had no money and had to get a motor back together would I do it?
Maybe.  If it were an option at all would I replace the head and rod bolts.
Yes.  I recommend this route for you - they show up cheap on ebay from time
to time new.

I'm definitely getting a new block gasket set (obviously) and new rings. But
the crank area was sound when I tore it apart...And if I replace the rod
bearings do I need to go the next size up?
____________

Good call on the rings - read your post about the slightly damaged bore.
Don't sweat it.  When I was a poor college student I put together a 1.8 from
basically free parts - the block was an Audi 4000 unit that had lost a
headgasket and had gouged the bore all the way top to bottom.  Honed it,
installed the rings, and ran great (still is I think, 10 years later).

Rebuilding a motor requires precise measurement.  Be sure to measure and
mark everything carefully.  Having said that, 99 times out of 100, the VW
crankshaft will be just fine and replacing the bearings with standard units
is fine.  If you are going to oversize bearings, the crankshaft needs to be
ground and polished at a machine shop.

Am I foolish for treating any motor as a temporary motor? (especially seeing
how parenthood seems to stall many projects)...

Nah.  I have done it many times.  The 1.7 in my Scirocco and Rabbit Truck
are both great runners, but both temporary.
Good luck, go slow, mark everything and when you put it together, try as
hard as possible to keep it all clean and pre-lube the motor before startup.

gd