rebuilding an ABA shortie - what do I HAVE to replace?

I realize this will probably make everyone cringe, but I would really like to keep the costs to a bare minimum (who doesn't? But with that said, I have the $$ to cover anything I _really_ need).  Keep in mind that this is only _supposed_ to be a "temporary" motor as I already have a nice 3A example shorty that will be paired with a x-flow head for turbo. But that could be as much as two years beyond now that Justin has arrived ( does that make it not temporary??  :p)  The victim is a 70k-mile ABA with squirters.

But what portion of the block must I absolutely replace? I bring this up primarily because I see differing schools of thought on the rod bolts.

I'm definitely getting a new block gasket set (obviously) and new rings. But the crank area was sound when I tore it apart...And if I replace the rod bearings do I need to go the next size up?

Am I foolish for treating any motor as a temporary motor? (especially seeing how parenthood seems to stall many projects)...

thanks, Jeff