Help...please...help

--- "T. Reed" <treed2@wsu.edu> wrote:

> - most engines (the 8v and 16v included), particularly in
> stock form,
>   start producing less and less power above a certain rpm
> band. Shifting
>   all the way up at 7000 will likely make you slower
> rather than
>   faster compared to shifting sooner (ie. 4500 - 5500).
> You also risk
>   floating valves, breaking a timing belt, blowing a head
> gasket, etc.
>   when running the engine at such high rpms. Keep it
> reasonable and your
>   motor will last - try to be extra cautious above 6000
> rpm.

I'll agree to a point.  In my experience, anything above
5000 or so on a stock 8v is futile.  Same goes for a stock
16v above about 6200.

> - it's (arguably) foolish to beat on it, period.. "love
> thy rocco"

I totally disagree with this statement concerning VWs.
It's been my experience that the harder you beat these
cars, the better they run.  If you love your rocco, run it
up to 5-6k regularly once everything is up to temperature.

> > itself then i smelt stuff burning i looked behind me
> and I have a lot of
> > white smoke pouring out of my car...I could still drive
> it home and all..now

This could likely be one of two things, both have been
mentioned.  Head gasket is the most expensive - a
compression test will tell you quick enough.  The other
could just be the fact that you burped a little oil back
through the intake, not uncommon at such high rpms.  The
car will give a lurch and smoke like hell. (Scared the hell
outta me when I did it once a few years back.)  Clean your
airbox / air filter and see if that improves it.

 ALso
> my E-break light is coming on once in a while randomly
(thats been
> happening for the past 2
> > days)

I have this "issue" with one of mine - the ebrake lever
doesn't always make perfect contact with the switch.  Check
your brake fluid level though as well as it will come on if
you're low.

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 S, '85, '86 & '88 Sciroccos, '96 Passat GLX Wagon, '56 Cessna 172
For Sale: '90 Passat Wagon, '82 Scirocco.
"My rabbit has a human foot on his keychain.  That's not the scary part.  What I wanna know is what those keys are for." - The Four Postmen