Homemade VW car dolly - What is a good tongue weight?

Ummmm, oooooook...

Anyways, I had a brainstorming session with a friend of mine, and we
came up with some killer ideas.  The new design will include a swivel,
so my worries about stress on the steering system are now not an
issue...

I've abandoned using a VW rear beam as part of the design, but will
still use VW stub axles and modified Scirocco wheel well liners as
fenders.  I'll take some pics as I'm building it and post them.

Mark.
80 S
81 S  2.0 ABA/JH/4K
75    Soon!

But, I
> really don't think it's something to fuss that much over. If it was
> somethign to fuss about I'm sure U-Haul and others would have a
different
> design for the 2 wheel dollies they have.
>

> Peace Out,
> Rhett
> Rocco_crossing
> '83 Rocco (DEAD!!) :-(  Now what to do???
>

> >From: "Mark" <mardak@cogeco.ca>
> >To: "'L F'" <rocco16v@netzero.net>, <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> >Subject: RE: Homemade VW car dolly - What is a good tongue weight?
> >Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:18:10 -0500
> >
> >I don?t think you?re quite understanding my analogy, so I?ll try
> >another:
> >
> >Forget the dolly exists, this is just a car on the ground, not
moving.
> >Turn the steering wheel to full lock.  The inside wheel will be at a
> >tighter angle than the outside wheel, correct?
> >
> >Now turn the steering wheel so the wheels are pointing straight
again.
> >Lock the wheels in place, pointing straight ahead, so they can?t move
> >(front to back, or ?turning?).  Now get some big guys and drag the
ass
> >end of the car sideways until the front wheels are in full lock.
Since
> >both wheels were locked to the same angle when straight, the inside
> >wheel would (at full lock again) now not be at a tighter angle than
the
> >outside ? they?d be at the same angle.  Since the geometry of the
> >steering system forces the inside wheel to be at a tighter angle than
> >the outside wheel, I don?t see how there would be no stress if rigid
> >?wheel clamps? were in place to keep the angle the same.
> >
> >I could always disconnect one tie rod end to alleviate any fears I
still
> >have?
> >
> >Make any sense yet?
> >
> >Thanks!