a/c help still needed--getting closer, but...

i *thought* i found the source of my a/c troubles yesterday when i found a
wire that got clamped in a bumper bolt and was shorting to ground. fixed it,
no dice. proceeded to rip into my fuse box. all wiring there seemed good, so
i pressed on. my trouble was coming from the thermostat in the control head.
looks like it's a switch that closes when the temp rises, completing the (+)
to the a/c when closed.

the thermostat consists of a little capillary tube going to the expansion
valve. on the thermostat end of the tube, it has a little diaphragm, which
presumably expands/contracts against the switch depending on the air
temp(maybe?) within the hollow capillary. questions:

1. does anyone know if the expansion valve/thermostat are separate units?
they appear to be one unit...
2. does anyone have a spare expansion valve/thermostat that they can test
for me/sell to me?

tia,

-Michael Abatzis
New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...

Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software — optimizes dial-up to the max!