Homemade VW car dolly - What is a good tongue weight?

>From: "Mark" <mardak@cogeco.ca>
>I don’t think you’re quite understanding my analogy, so I’ll try
>another:
>
>Forget the dolly exists, this is just a car on the ground, not moving.
>Turn the steering wheel to full lock.  The inside wheel will be at a
>tighter angle than the outside wheel, correct?

no. the wheels are at the same angle. i think you mean that the outside
wheel _turns (rotates) faster_ than the inside wheel during a turn.  think
about the steering mechanism. the (rigid) steering rack has a tie rod on
either end, connected to each wheel bearing housing.  during a turn, the
rack, tie rods, and wheels all move as one unit, so the angles of the wheels
must be the same.

-Michael Abatzis
New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP