The 75 - Orange it is...

>Hehe my 75 is an Automatic... yep you guessed it, first thing to happen is
>freshly rebuilt 1.8L will replace the whimpy 1.5, and a dual side-drafts
>webber 40  twin carbs are to replace the single solex/2P2 presently on
>there. Yep I am keeping the automatic..

I have considered dual Webers or Mikunis but don't want to deal with
the driveability issues of syncing 2 carbs, not to mention the added
fuel consumption.  I go back to Drake theory on that issue.  For all
that money, it doesn't buy you a lot of additional HP. I'm leaning
toward a single 38/38 non-progressive Weber and a new air intake setup
as soon as the smog nazis are off my back.
______

I have run a bunch of different carb setups on different motors.  Jetting
and syncing dual sidedrafts is not very difficult.  Of course I have jetted
a lot of bikes, but the Dellorto 40s I used for a long while were
rock-steady after being adjusted once (TWM manifold and linkage).
Driveability better than with a DFAV32/36 and a DGAV 32/36, in terms of
throttle response and part throttle running.

The difference in HP was like night and day.  I did a bunch of flow bench
work (at a VW-Porsche shop at the time) and the numbers bore out the fruit.
If you have a head and exhaust that will support the additional flow,
sidedrafts are a wonderful improvement.  The 38/38 DGAS is a decent
compromise, but will not come close to the sidedrafts in power.  I even used
my Dellortos on my Rabbit Truck through an Iowa winter once and had no
problems or issues with cold-starting (they have a choke but a few pumps and
it was easy starting).  Mileage will suffer.  When I was heavy with my foot
12-15 was normal.  When I drove normally, 15-23mpg if I remember right.

A single sidedraft or even a single downdraft IDF/DHL Dellorto is better
than a progressive in terms of power and response on a healthy engine.

gd